Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Illustrations

So I'm really excited because I just spent a whole lot of time and money on www.equilter.com picking fabrics for a quilt for my cousin's wedding gift at the end of this month.  

Last week, I created a new board on Pinterest called  Modern Quilt Patterns and I wasted quite a bit of time searching for Quilt Patterns that I considered to be trendy/contemporary, but not in the category of the art quilts that I do, where I create my own pattern entirely.

I was surprised to find some great FREE patterns online...I guess I've been working away at my own art quilting for the past couple of years, so I haven't really been on the hunt for quilt patterns lately.

I narrowed it down to two patterns, with the thought that I was going to "combine" them into one quilt.  The first pattern is called "Illustrations" from PB Textiles (click here to get the Free pattern).  


The second pattern I was considering is called "Baker's Dozen" from McCall's Quilting (click here to get the Free Pattern).
You can see that they both have a similar kind of theme with the idea of the main quilt squares kind of "hanging" on a thread on their way down the quilt.  I think I saw somewhere that the McCalls Pattern offered a more neutral color variation as well, or maybe that was just what I was going to do with it.  I wanted to use the soon to be married couple's living room color theme of grey/white/black.  (I couldn't secret an accent color out of anyone so I decided not to risk yellow and just stuck with the basics...I've been wanting to do a black and white quilt FOREVER anyway!)

Once I discovered that the "Baker's Dozen" Pattern actually required piecing for all the blocks, I decided to go entirely with the "Illustrations" pattern since it uses larger pieces of fabric for the blocks.  There is some finicky work with the edges of the squares (creating triangle pieced edges)  that I may decide to skip depending on the time factor: I have less than a month until the wedding!

I went to Staples to print out the pattern for "Illustrations" and I didn't realize until I got to my car that for some reason the pattern, which I had printed out in color, just showed one big black box on the front page. I sketched out what I needed, looking at the pattern on my phone and went off to Fabricland to return with my wallet feeling just fine and my hands completely empty.

Not to worry...now an excuse to shop at my favorite online quilting store EVER:

I probably spent two hours mixing and matching my fabrics (I love using their virtual design board) until I got exactly what I wanted! (The kids weren't home...so uninterrupted virtual planning and shopping!) 

I could attempt to copy and paste my fabric selections here, but I think it will be easier to wait until they arrive and then I can take pictures myself...so here's to waiting for the courier to arrive. Fabric on the way...Yay. I just made my own day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment